"What's for dinner?"
My voice, if I had one, was letting out nothing more than a sustained, "Uhhhhhh." But my brain was working overtime. In my head, it sounded something like this.
What? Dinner? Aw, c'mon. Whydya have to go and do that? We were having such a nice conversation. It's like noon, right? Six hours to go. I don't even know what is in the fridge. When was the last time we picked up a pizza? "What do you want for dinner?" is a better question. Why must I always be the one to think of these things...and on it went. Until my mouth got ahead of my brain. (I'd like to pretend this never happens, but I would be...well...pretending)
Having no answer, I blurted out, "Bubble and squeak."
Hubband chuckled, but called my bluff. "What's in that?"
"I don't know," I had to admit. "Cabbage, I think. Or maybe sausage."
"Well, it's English," said Hubband "It probably has one of those things."
After that conversation, and still with no plans for dinner, I did some investigating. Bubble and squeak is basically a potato and cabbage pancake. I had left over mashed potatoes. I had cabbage, though it was the red kind. And, I had red kale, I didn't know what to do with. So, Bubble and Squeak it was. I served it with breaded cod. It neither bubbled, nor squeaked, but it was good and my kids ate every bite.
Bubble and Squeak ~
Desperate (for dinner ideas) American Housewife Style
3 cups mashed potatoes
5-6 leaves red cabbage, chopped small
6 leaves red kale, de-ribbed
fresh chives, chopped
butter and olive oil for frying
- Boil cabbage and kale for about 10 minutes until soft. Drain.
- Mix with mashed potatoes and chives. The stiffer the potatoes the better I think. Mine were a bit soft.
- Take a handful of mixture and form it into a round patty.
- Combine butter and olive oil in pan over medium high heat.
- Add patties to pan, cooking 3-5 minutes on each side. I would add a little extra olive oil between sides.
Next up, TOAD IN THE HOLE!