Thursday, February 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Mrs. Parks

Rosa Parks was born on February 4, 1913.  She is known as  the mother of the American Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s.
"I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear." 
~ Rosa Parks 

She helped launch a nation wide boycott to end racial segregation of public services when she refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery Alabama bus to a white man in December, 1955.  Later in life she founded the Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self-Development to introduce young people to the importance of civil rights and Rosa's philosophy of  "quiet strength".  She died in 2005.

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Parks!

5 comments:

  1. That is one great quote. What a brave lady. I remember when she died - seen as the great hero that she was.

    Boy, oh boy that piece of cake looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great quote.

    That cake is killing me. I am no reminded why I stopped using it year-round. It makes me want to eat cake. Yesterday Sam(3) was looking over my shoulder and started in with, "That, Mommy? Cake Mommy? Cry (the way he says 'can I have') cake Mommy? Cry Cake?" Very distracting. And I had to do away with the brown. I didn't even want to come here. I tried pink for a few hours, but had to come back to the white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a question, when you were going to high school was this part of the info imparted to you. To put it simply, I know I never heard of her while at school but I don't know when I did absorb information about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So now we are living in a land of white, fluffy icing on the cake :) That is pretty cute about Sam, too. I just adore little voices trying to explain themselves. I miss it.

    Vince: Being Canadian I learned about Rosa Parks from television - all those years-in-review for baby boomers who lived through the sixties. I admit I was utterly fascinated by them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quote. We can learn a few lessons about fear from her.

    ReplyDelete