Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chaos, Complete and Utter

As most of you know, we spent the week of Thanksgiving in Washington with Hubband's parents.  I have so many stories to tell about the journey: three kids, two adults, one Prius, a thousand miles, sixteen hours in the car over two days.  Visit for six days and repeat.  This sound like it would make an interesting story, doesn't it?  Not to mention my detailed reviews of every McDonald's with an indoor Playland between Sacramento and the Canadian border.  Ah, good times.

Unfortunately, I do not have time to tell these tales now.  We got home Tuesday night, opened the back on the Prius, and my life exploded all over my living room.  While we were away, we were invaded by ants.  The the floor around the toilet in the master bathroom (laminate over concrete) developed a squishing noise.  I hope this is not related to the tinkling noise the toilet has been making for over a year.  Jimmy the plumber can not see me for a month.  So he suggested I call Pedro the plumber.  Note to self: Call Pedro the plumber.

 By Wednesday morning, I had not even begun to dig my way out, but we had no food in the house, of course, so I had to run to the market (with all three kids).  Then there was a previously scheduled trip to the pediatrician (with all three kids).  And, shots.  For all three kids.  They acted like wild animals just let out of their cages.  Cate is suffering from Grandma withdrawal, which means she wants to be held all the time.  And, Jonah is off school, and bored.  Our little yard does not hold as much adventure as Grandpa's farm.

We should be back to normal by the weekend.  But, that is not going to happen either.  Hubband and I are leaving Friday afternoon for our church's couples retreat.  A friend of mine (Love you, Marissa) is going to stay here and watch the kids for us. 

You never know how dirty your house is until you imagine a friend living in it for three days.  So, on top of the laundry (twelve loads, by my estimation), and the unpacking, and the packing, I have to get out the sand blaster to get the crud off the underside of the dining room table and the backs of the chairs, detail the botanical experiment that is the shower, change the sheets (Make that thirteen loads of laundry.), and mop the floors.  Do you suppose the kids will want to eat between Friday and Sunday afternoons?  Ugh.  Add meal planning to my list.

So you see, I really do have tales to tell.  But I don't have time to do them justice.  I don't know when, exactly, I will be back, but knowing me, it won't be too long.  Please promise to miss me while I am gone.
Chicken Coop in Snow

I am including this picture, taken at Grandma and Grandpa's farm, because I find it soothing.  And, breathe.


  1. awww...! you are loved with or without a clean shower :)

  2. Wow. Glad you survived Part I. Looking forward to Part II. :) Good luck!
    (Say hi to Pedro for me!)

  3. Ha! Sounds kind of hard work. Breathe indeed.

  4. Oh yikes. I was beginning to wonder when we hadn't heard from you for a while. Now I know and I commiserate. I had a similar experience this past summer, as you may remember. So yes, breathe, and when it all seems like too much - go to your happy place! Hope you surface soon!