Monday, November 9, 2009

A Birthday Party

In honor of the baby's birthday we had a big "to do".

As with most events planned for babies, this one was more for the grown ups who wanted to get together and bask in her cuteness (and/or eat our food, drink our beer, enjoy each other's company) than it was for the baby. There was a bounce house, but even that was for the grown ups, and certainly not for the baby. It gave the bigger kids something to do while we were hanging out with other grown ups.

The baby got a house full of love, a day full of cuddles, and a cupcake. Well, and presents, but it's not even about the presents to a wee one like her.


It was a clear November afternoon with all the family we could squeeze into our small house spilling out into the yard. Even Grandma (my mother-in-law) flew in for the weekend. Though others were missed (one aunt and one soon-to-be-uncle in particular) we were blessed indeed.

I served four different kinds of soup, with four different kinds of bread. A great idea for a Fall feast if one has enough bowls and spoons, which I do not, but Nana, the best mother in the world, was happy to bring all she had. I've done this before, by the way. Offered soup to more people than I had bowl. But I think I have learned my lesson. In the future, I will put BYOB - Bring Your Own Bowl (and spoon, BYOBS?) on the invitations.

Dessert was birthday cupcakes, also provided by Nana. (What would I do with out her?) She and Jonah baked them from scratch -- chocolate and vanilla with chocolate and pink frosting(Yes, I know that pink is not a flavor.) and sprinkles.

All in all, I think it was a great day. I don't really know how everyone else felt about it because I was so busy. I barely sat down. I only got the half of a bowl of soup from last at the bottom of the pot. But, everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves. And I got many compliments on the soup. Thanks to all of you. The most commented upon recipe is found in the previous post.

The guests, the soup, the bread, the cupcakes, even the dirty dishes are gone now, but we remain warm and happy and loved here.

This is Samuel the next morning, having his breakfast cereal among the clean and borrowed remains of the party.

1 comment:

  1. I posted a comment, then accidentally deleted it! Doh!!! Anyway, I wanted to say your little one looks so adorable :) I hope you have had a chance to rest since then!
    Also, I wanted to thank you for your kind words and prayers. They are cherished ;)
    Shellie

    ReplyDelete