Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Next Bottom You Wipe Might Be Your Own


Today, I asked Jonah to go around the house, find the dirty dishes, and bring them to me so that I could wash them.  He just looked at me, confused.

"What?  Why are you looking at me like that?  There are two glasses sitting on the table next to you."

"But...I'm not a woman."  His tone was not disrespectful, just really confused.

My mouth dropped open, and gaped there for a good while.

"Well, I'm not," he said.  "Do I have a pony tail?  Do I have an apron?"  Now he was sassing me.

We had a little chat.  After which he went and gathered up the dirty dishes.  Well, most of them.

"Jonah, you brought me one glass from the end table, but not the other one."

"Oh, that one's not mine."

This is when I lost it.

Not yours?  I don't care if it is not yours.  I asked you to bring it to me.  Do you see all of the dishes in this sink?  Do you know how many of them are "mine"?  I do ALL the dishes.  Even the ones I don't use.  I wash all the clothes.  Even the ones I don't wear.  I brush the teeth in four-out-of-five mouths in this house.  Even though I don't have four mouths.  I wipe three-out-of-five bottoms in this house.  Even though I don't have three bottoms.  So, I don't want to hear about how that one glass, sitting right next to your glass, is NOT your glass.  I want you to pick it up and bring it to me, like a boy with a generous heart.  Or, failing that, like a boy with some sense, and some respect for his mother, and some interest in living in MY house until his seventh birthday.  Because I don't have to do this.  I am a lawyer.  Do you know that?  I went to school for a very long time and I took a very hard test so that I would not have to be the hired help.  I am not the hired help.  I am way overqualified to wipe butts and be disrespected by you.

Then it occurred to me...who isn't overqualified for this?  You usually have to pay someone to do what I do.  And, if you disrespect them, they will quit.  Why would anyone put up with this?  Maybe, as their mother, I am the only one who is qualified.  Well, if that is the case, then a few things need to be set straight.

So, listen here, little man.  Listen closely, and tell your brother and sister.  Tell them that The Woman, the one with the pony tail and the apron, has lost her mind and she has something to say.  This is OUR house, and OUR dishes, and OUR laundry, and yes, even OUR butts.  I am not doing all of this for you, and I am certainly not doing it all for me.  WE are doing this for US.  Just because you are too young to do most of it, does not mean you are off the hook.  So, I would appreciate it if, in the future, you would do what you are told, all the way, right away, and with a happy face.  And if you ever tell me that what I do is "woman's work" again, well...God help you, because even Daddy won't be able to.

XOXO ~ Mommy

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS TRACEY! YOU TELL 'EM! Little did you know that your law degree would have you reading the riot act to a small boy SETTING him straight!
    Kids! NEVER a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, LOVE this post. Inspiring. You said it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine how that thought got in his head...too funny! Way to go Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol....and Jonah is SO glad you don't have four mouths! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply awesome. We have had some similar conversations in this house, let me tell you...okay, another time. This is great. I think you should send it to Reader's Digest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the other day, I had to tell my very good friend, who is very subservient to her family, that her 13 year old son thinks he is her "other husband."

    He doesn't do anything that his dad doesn't do, and he speaks to the family members in a manner that is way too confident.

    Being that I just read your post about your cruise, I know your husband is 'not' in that category; lest you find the dishes piled up to the ceiling when you get back.

    Anyway, sounds like you straigtened him out. :)

    I don't have any boys, however my girls have to have that speech occasionally, too.

    ReplyDelete